Sunday, September 12, 2010

Deep Thoughts with Nicole Pullen

As you have all probably figured out by now, Jesse is the talented writer between the two of us.  My job is to organize the photos that will accompany our stories for your enjoyment.  So these entries, about my observations while living over here in Hong Kong, will be short and sweet and hopefully give you another look at what we're experiencing every day!

1)  When you go to a restaurant and ask for the bill, your waiter will return and hover over your shoulder and watch you the entire time you and your party figure out how much everyone owes.   At first it made us a little bit nervous, but clearly that is what happens over here, so we've learned to deal with it!

2)  I'm the type of person who enjoys something sweet after dinner.  And because it's so incredibly hot here, a lot of the time we end up meandering over to our favourite store, the 7-11, and grab a little bit of ice cream or a Popsicle as we continue our post-dinner walk.  In Toronto, I normally never have a problem eating and walking down a street.  But here, eating and walking down the street means you are hit with strange smell after strange smell, which makes it hard to keep eating that wonderful strawberry ice cream while smelling dead fish heads! 

3)  I have yet to capture a picture of this, but I definitely will and when I do I'll post it.  The paint on the road is SO THICK!! You can tell it's been painted over and over and over, and walking on the stripes reminds me of driving across the paint test strips on the way to Ottawa, but way better.

4)  I'm amazed every day when I see people wearing long jeans and a jacket.  I am so hot when walking outside, I haven't worn pants once since we got here.  When it's 40C+ outside, it's hard to do anything but lay by the pool, but the locals don't seem to find it that hot, or not hot enough for shorts, anyway.

I think that's it from me for now! When I find some more interesting tid-bits, I'll let you know :)

2 comments:

  1. I know how excited you get for the paint strips along the 401, and your saying that these are bigger, as in higher off the pavement? Incredible. Have you ridden over them in an auto yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That picture of the chickens in the window may have just put me off chicken for a while. Yuck!

    ReplyDelete